Contractors License in California Contractors License Toll Free Number
Contractors License California Construction License California Real Estate School Home Inspection Courses Blog Home Inspection Training Contractors License Login

Requirements for Contractor Licensing

CA Contractors License

California Real Estate License Contractors License California Home Inspection Schools Construction License
Home Inspection Courses in California
bullet Contractors Course Summary   bullet Questions about Contractor Licensing
bullet Contractors License Requirements   bullet Contractors Application Services
bullet Contractors License Classifications   bullet Course Selection / Enrollment

In California all businesses or individuals who contract for building projects must be licensed by the Contractors State License Board (CSLB) if the total cost of labor and material on the project is $500 or more. "Building Projects " include constructing a new or altering an existing residential or commercial building, highway, road, parking facility, railroad, excavation, or other structure.

CSLB issues licenses for the following classifications:

  1. General Engineering
  2. General Building
  3. Specialty
There are 39 separate Specialty classifications for contractors whose work requires special skill and whose principal contracting business involves the use of specialized building trades or crafts. For example: Plumbing (C-36), Electrical (C-10), Painting and Decorating (C-33), Flooring and Floor Covering (C-15). CSLB also issues two certificates Asbestos Abatement and Hazardous Substances Removal.

Obtaining a contractor's license usually involves the following steps:
bullet Fill out and send the CSLB an Application for Original Contractor's License.
The application processing fee is $300.
bullet If the application is accepted, you will be scheduled for the exams.
There are two required exams: Law/Business and Trade.
Both exams are scheduled on the same day and take approximately 2.5 - 3 hours each.
The tests are administered on the computer and the questions are "multiple choice" format.
bullet Passing both exams satisfies the CSLB requirements for obtaining Contractor's License.
At this point you must file a contractor's license bond with other forms given to you at the exam site and send them to CSLB along with a $150 check - the license fee for the first two years.

You can obtain more information at the CSLB website:

--> New Laws for California Contractors
More Blog Posts in our: Contractor License Blog

Education Courses including: Contractors License | Real Estate License | Home Inspection

Copyright © 2003 - 2008 Freedom Business School. All rights reserved | Calabasas, California USA
Designed and developed by